Friday, May 20, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides



We saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4 this afternoon. I must say that I truly enjoyed the casting changes! I do NOT miss Kera Knightley or Orlando Bloom. I did however miss some of the original pirate characters like the glass eye guy and his fat buddy, the midget and the old guy with the parrot are some that I missed in this one. I had  a great appreciation for the Mermaids in this film! This was indeed a far cry from the brightly colored mermaids featured in the film "Hook" starring Robin Williams. This film showed mermaids as lure had originally depicted them. The film once again finds Jack once again in search of some mystical item, in this case the infamous Fountain of Youth. The Spanish, the British, and the Pirates are all searching for this.

Penelope Cruz joined the cast and originally appears as an imposter of Jack. He finds her and they have a duel which ends badly (as usual) for Jack. Jack is knocked out and awakens a prisoner on the ship of the dreaded pirate Black Beard played by Ian McShane (Death Race). This is the first apperance for Black Beard in the Pirate series ( I won't divulge if this will be a continuing role). Barbosa is a main player in this Fountain hunt as well as numerous unknown actors which portray the Spanish side. There was also a cameo by Keith Richards who (for only about 3 minutes on screen) plays Jack's father...and this was at the request of Johnny Depp (Excellent choice!).

This film has the famous fighting styles and epic hand to hand brawls. It has jack doing some more extreme escapes and out of this world stunts to evade capture. Jack and Angela (Cruz) used to be an item so of course she holds a grudge against him (as most women do). Well, the race for the fountain is on and as usual, Jack knows how to access the fountain which is why he was kept alive by Black Beard, then again they can't very well kill off Jack now can they! I won't give anymore details as I never intend to be a spoiler blog.

I liked this movie a great deal though still not as much as the first Pirates film which I hold as the standard although many would say the third was the best. There is a short scene following the credits so stay behind and enjoy the music while you wait...it does hold importance to the next film. I highly recommend this film for family night, date night, girls night, guys night, or any other reason you might want to see a good film!

As usual, I disagree with the "professional" reviews!

I rate this film 8.5 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment